Saturday, December 31, 2011

Chopping a Honda GL1000 Goldwing #32

I put in about seven hours today and I have a lot of pictures to show you why it takes so long to do this stuff.

Yesterday I decided that I wanted to beef up the fender bracket because it looked too skimpy to me.


Well today I started the project by first cutting two 1 inch tubes about an inch long. Then I slotted them so they would fit around the ends of the brackets. I then cut Two similar pieces of tubing that would fit over the smaller pieces that I cut, and I slotted them.

I welded them in place and ground them some to get a general fit.



When I put them on the bike I realized that the swing arm uprights are on an angle and I had made the tubes square with the bracket. I got out the torch and heated both sides of the bracket then hit the top of the bracket with a plastic dead blow hammer bending the crossbar just enough to get the tubes to conform to the uprights. It worked and now looks like I meant it that way.


After welding the tubing and grinding them I decided that the back side of the bracket looked too small also.


I cut and welded a piece of 1/2 inch square stock to the back side of the bracket.
This had to be ground down to make it all look like one piece.



Then Wanting to be a little different, while the fender bracket was cooling I decided to make a "Z" to go in the middle of the uprights. I heated and bent a piece of 1/2 inch square stock into the Z then trimmed the ends to fit with a slight rake to the Z. I think it makes it look like it is moving.

Although it is not done yet, I was getting tired so I mounted it to see if it looks OK.
I like it.


This is why it took seven hours, also I sit a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment