Monday, December 5, 2011

Chopping a Honda GL1000 Goldwing #16

Wednesday 11/30/2011

Spent most of the day forming the rear mount for the gas tank tube.

This amounted to cutting two pieces of plate tacking them to the tank tube.

There are a lot of variables that go into clamping the tube pieces together.

The whole tube must be straight and centered, the pegs for the gas tank must be level, then the side plates must be at a 90 degree angle with the frame plate.

After about a half hour of trying to get them right and failing, I got my helper out to the garage (wife Betty) we were then able to hold all the parts on the right angles and clamp them. I then tacked the pieces to the tube only.



When I was sure everything was right I welded the top of both pieces.



I cut off the tube end on an angle and made a support plate for the front and rear of the rear section.




I cut two small pieces of plate to cover the front and rear of the pieces I tacked on. I welded the rear piece only about half way down then heated it and bent it to match the rear angles.




The bottom portion of this plate will be cut off flush and the whole rear section will be filled and ground smooth, then the unit will be ready to weld to the frame front and back. I will then weld, fill and gusset the front of the tube where it attaches to the neck.

No comments:

Post a Comment