Monday, December 5, 2011

Chopping a Honda GL1000 Goldwing #18

Friday 12/02/2011

First step today was to fill in the area at the top of the neck with some short pieces of 1/4 inch flat stock. then clean and
smooth the welds on the neck so everything is flat to accept the plates.



I cut two plates out of 1/8th inch plate I had laying around, smoothed them and cleaned up the surface rust.




Honda uses a much thinner metal between their frame tubes, but I like a minimum of 1/8th inch just for strength.




The process is very labor intensive but it works for me in the end.




I tacked in the right side with a little bit of hammer forming then welded it solid.



This is the left side before plating it.



Left side plated and also ground for the first time.

I will grind all the welds smooth and fill the gaps again by doing more welding and grinding.
This way there will be a minimum amount of fiberglass in the finished frame.
I fill the low areas then grind so that I don't loose the strength of the original weld, it takes a while but I think it is worth it.

Even though most of the front is hidden by the gas tank I will fill and smooth it anyway. I even wound up touching up Honda's welding
on the front bottom tube or should I say lack of welding because there were open areas where they didn't weld it at all.

I will also weld and grind down the two dots where Honda spot welded an insert into the bottom tubes (see above photo).

No comments:

Post a Comment