Monday, December 5, 2011

Chopping a Honda GL1000 Goldwing #15

I took yesterday off, Cyber Monday and I had to Christmas shop for the wife.

After all, she's the one I can count on to hold the bars steady when I tack them and bring a fresh coffee when I am in the garage meditating on my next move. Almost anything I need that I can't do myself.

Today is Tuesday 11/29/2011



I decided to go with a Kawasaki tank I had in the Garage loft, it has some nice lines that seem to go with the frame design.



Here are a couple of views of it mocked up on the bike.



I had to put the triple tree back on (dumb) to check for gas tank clearance in the front.




I ground a slot and welded a 4 inch rod in it to accept some Honda gas tank rubbers which happen to be the same size as the Kawasaki tank mounts.




I then cut and ground a plate to replace the original front gas tank mount and tacked it in.



I tacked a flat piece of scrap to the end of the tank tube so that when the plate is level I know the tank mount rod is also level. The end of the tank tube will be cut off at an angle to mount on the flat plate.

I also welded a smaller piece of tubing that fits into the front of the tank tube and also fits into the front mounting area better.

I have been centering the tank between the fork neck and the center of the rear tire.

At this point I think I am happy with the set-up so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment