Thursday, December 15, 2011

Chopping a Honda GL1000 Goldwing #24


Some explanation today, I have been working in the garage
but to this point I have not known what to report.

I first put a seat and rear fender brace tubing, from the plate above
the point where the rear swing arm mounts, going straight back next to the fender.

After tacking this in I realized that it would get in the way of the
battery mounting.

I had to cut and grind it out, and review again how this
mounting could be changed.

 First I got the size of the Battery then I built a Battery Box.
Above picture is what I came up with.

I still have to make the brackets for it and also a hold down
system for the battery.

I decided to make an upright for the rear to serve as a fender mount
and also a brace for the swing arm.


I built the bottom from two pieces of 1 inch channel cut on an
angle to fit the mounting bracket at the rear wheel.

 I put a piece of solid round stock in between the pieces of channel
and then added a piece of tubing over the round stock.

I ground all of the pieces so that they look like one piece of stock
that goes from square to round tube.

 The tube is on an angle, but looks straight in the picture.

I then attached a short piece of 2 X 4 to the rear tire and
leaned the tubing against it.

This will give me the angle I need to get both sides to wind up the
same distance from the fender.

I set the tubing at a 90 degree angle to the ground, this way I will be
able to duplicate the angles on the other side even though they are
different lengths away from the rear wheel.

Remember that the two sides of the frame are at different distances and
angles all over the bike.

This is what makes this build so complicated.

I am sorry if I am confusing you, this is the best way
I know to explain what I have done.

No comments:

Post a Comment