Sunday, December 18, 2011

Chopping a Honda GL1000 Goldwing #25

No post yesterday because my sister Pat and I took bags of presents (really necessities) out to the local Canandaigua NY VA Hospital.
If you want to do something good for the holidays or actually any time donate to the vets at your local VA hospital. They need the help.

I started out today by finishing the right side base for the upright.



Getting the upright square with the frame and left side was quite a job. Betty came out to the garage and helped with the lining up of all the pieces.



Without a frame jig I have to really think out of the box. I first ground the base so that it basically fit the frame, then I took a tape measure from the neck to a cross piece of angle iron clamped to the left side which I mounted two days ago.

I put a magnetic level on the cross piece then clamped the right side to it. By having the right side upright at a 90 degree angle, the cross piece at a 90 degree also and measuring from the neck to the cross piece on both sides I figured that everything was square. After tacking I checked everything again and all was well in my world.



 I then cut a piece of tube to go between the upright and the Cross plate located between where the swing arm mounts and I tacked that in.  I still have to cut the uprights to length and make the rear fender mount. I bolted the fender to the temporary mount on the swing arm to get an idea for mounting the rear fender mount to the uprights.



I also got an old tail light out of stock and set it on the fender to see what that would look like. I am debating on welding the mount to the fender because the tail light can be removed from the mount. If I weld it, I will also paint the mount along with the fender and leave the tail light chrome.



With the tail light set on the fender it makes it easier to figure out where to cut the fender.

No comments:

Post a Comment