Monday, December 19, 2011

Chopping a Honda GL1000 Goldwing #26

Started today by making the support tube to go on the right side from the plate to the swing arm upright.


The process of making the sides to come out the same even though the original frame tubes are different make this the hardest frame rebuild I have ever tackled. Every tube is different so I can't make one tube then make another one to match it.




I cut down the uprights by installing the fender where it is to go, then put a level across the fender and making a mark on the tubes.
I then took hose clamps and installed them at the marks. when the clamps are tightened down they give me a line all the way around the tubes so I can cut them squarely across the tube.

This is a good way to cut a pipe at a 90 degree angle with a small grinder, just make a mark then put a hose clamp at the mark it gives you a perfect line to cut on.




I next made a couple of plugs to fit into the tops of the uprights, drilled and tapped to fit a 8mm X 125 bolt thread.

I welded them inside the uprights. I may make some kind of fancy top to go on them later.

The fender was installed on the temporary bracket on the swing arm and I blocked it up on the tire. The job now is to get the fender straight and centered just where I want it to be.

I cut a piece of flat stock and drilled holes for the uprights
Then bolted them down to the uprights.




I now need to get a center line to the fender brace I made.
I will use this to make the actual brace I want to use.
I am still thinking about the mounting of the fender and seat.
I an also debating if some small saddle bags might be good on this tank of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment