Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Chopping a Honda GL1000 Goldwing #33

I am not real happy with today's work, But I haven't figured out how to fix it yet.

I ground the welds down smooth on the rear fender tail light bracket and it looks OK except for the top rail.
It needs some fine sanding to get rid of the grain.

The spot on the top rail where the Honda logo goes was a little thin near the bolt holes and it kind of wore through at the bottom where I had drilled to countersink the heads of the Allen bolts that hold the logo on.


I haven't tried but it may look better if I bolt the logo on, worse come to worse I could cut it off and make a new top. I am still thinking.

After I messed up with the fender bracket I decided to go to something different.

I cut another 3 1/4 inch long piece of 1 1/4 inch channel iron to make the bottom fender bracket the same as I made for the top fender and tail light mounting.


I drilled and tapped it out to 8 X 1.25 mm and welded it at the front bottom of the rear fender.


I still have to finish grinding it.

Then I sat down and thought about the fender bracket and listened to some old time country music, George Jones always makes me feel better when I hear about some guy who got drunk, lost his job, his wife left him, and his pick-up won't run.

Golly I'm not so bad off after all, in fact I'm doing great.

No comments:

Post a Comment