Monday, December 26, 2011

Chopping a Honda GL1000 Goldwing #28

I am back to the garage after the holidays, it feels good to get back to work.
I had a great day today, starting a couple of hours early and putting in about 10 hours today.

I started by cleaning the front fork lowers with a wire brush, you may remember that this was the bike that got too near a fire before I got it.


The ugly color won't come off the forks, but the lowers will be able to be painted after I rebuild them.

I purchased 2 Shock-mate # SA1997 boots that are meant to go over steering assemblies for some kind of car.
They look like they will cover the front forks where they are discolored.
I am saving them until the final assembly of the bike.

I put the front end back on to get an idea of how the bike is going to sit.

Next I tacked a flat piece of plate onto the fender mount and mounted the tail light frame to the fender.


The tape is about the line I will use when I cut the rear fender off.


I still have to cut the plate down to the out line of the tail light front bolt mount.


Next was the battery box it is very close to the master cylinder so I remounted the cylinder to make sure the two pieces won't hit each other.
Also I need enough room to get at the brake line going into the cylinder.

I put a couple of pieces of board under it resting on the swing arm and the height comes out pretty good.
Now I have to make the mount for it, I would like to have it bolted in.


In order to get the seat right I built a dummy battery out of some pieces of 2X4 wood I had around. I cut them to the size of a battery so I know how much room I have to work with.

Would you believe I bought 7 Goldwings and not one of them had a battery in it, even a bad one would have worked to check the clearance.



The next project was to mount up the seat to see how that fit with the battery box under it.
I decided to go with the hair pin springs for the seat.


I just laid a piece of flat stock across the back frame to get an idea of how high the seat would be.


OH BOY - - - I can touch flat footed even without lowering the front end.

No comments:

Post a Comment