Monday, December 5, 2011

Chopping a Honda GL1000 Goldwing #17

Thursday 12/01/2011

I filled and ground the rear portion of the gas tank mounting tube.



"fill and grind, fill and grind"



After calling my helper (Betty) out to the garage, we got it set-up and tacked to the frame. A little light hammering brought the original "sheet metal" from the bottom leg of the frame over to match the new gas tank tube.




There is going to have to be a lot of filling done to match the top of the tube to the neck.
I will use 1/8 inch filler between the neck and tube not sheet metal like Honda uses.




I set the gas tank on and marked the rear mounting hole, drilled and tapped it to take a 8mm X 1.25 bolt. I also cut a rubber bushing I had in half to go under the gas tank mounting tab.

At this point I did notice that the clearance between the front neck and gas tank is very small, about 1/8 inch but it does clear and won't hit on tight turns.




I got out a trailer fender I had in the garage left over from a Honda 400A build.
I had to buy two at the time.)








I think there won't be too much clearance between the tire and the fender but I like the look.

The rear fender is rushing it but I had to see how it would look.
I still have to fill the neck area and gusset it in, then weld the rear of the tank tube mount in.

No comments:

Post a Comment