Monday, December 5, 2011

Chopping a Honda GL1000 Goldwing #9

OK Here we are 11/11/11 Armistice Day.

How many of you remember that?

Any way back to business.

I started yesterday by grinding the 2" plate rear shock mounts and tacking them to the rectangle stock that I had turned down to fit into the tubing.



Again spending a lot of time thinking about the way the rear wheel mounts and how it looks.

Everything needs to be triangulated to support the frame when the force of the wheel pushes it up.

I managed to bend two pieces of tubing to about the same angle to fit between the shock mounts and the lower frame.

I am trying this time to fit as much as I can before welding any of it together.

I then cut a 2" piece of flat stock and ground it to fit in between the lower down tubes of the frame.



I tacked the flat stock to the frame, this allows me to cut off the tubing I bent that attaches to the shock mounts.

I have now cut off the tubing and started grinding the angle so they fit right.



They are not done yet, but this will give you an idea of what I am thinking of.

I now have to figure out how to keep the tubing in a straight line when I tack it together.

I may have to make some sort of clamp on piece so that I know it's straight.

This thinking hurts sometime, I know "even though I want to see the finished project" "patience Grasshopper patience"

To my Brothers & Sisters out there, ENJOY THE DAY, it's great to be alive.

Yesterday, after 43 years, they brought home the remains of another Brother from Hilton NY where I live.

 Sgt. David Lemcke RIP

Being a Vietnam Vet I think I may take the day off again, my newest gift from the service is Neuropathy in my hands and feet and the pills don't help.

No comments:

Post a Comment