Saturday, March 24, 2012

Hard tail Honda GL1000 Goldwing Bobber #50

I started out today to disassemble the 1979 good running GL1000, and I must say I am quite proud of myself.

I stripped the bike of all the minor things like controls, electronics, cables, mounts, etc.


I managed to break off one of the the bolts on the lower radiator hose outlet, I think the previous owner didn't own any metric tools because there were a lot of bolts with the heads stripped.

I couldn't get the oil filter bolt out because even locking pliers couldn't grip the worn head.

I drained the oil and antifreeze out as best as I could.
The engine had a dipstick connected via the oil drain plug, a really cool item but the washers that connect it to the bolt and to the engine are really worn.
They were leaking oil and now I have to figure out where to get more if I want to use it again.



I would like to use it if I can get new seals for it, they are hard plastic with a stepped section that goes into the tube part.


Any ideas on where to get them?

As you can see a screwdriver bite me when I was trying to remove something, now I don't even remember what.

With all of the frills removed the engine slid out very easily and now sits in the middle of the floor.



It will join the others in the storage bay until I need it, This engine ran so nice I think it is the one going into the chopper.
It also has a lot of chrome stuff like the valve covers, carburetor covers, and intake manifolds.

This bike also had rotor covers which I won't use and a fork brace that I think I will use.


Now the only thing left is to take the back stand off the frame and move it to the shed with the others.


Tomorrow is a swap meet for the Ontario county Abate organization, and I am going to that.

Brad from mid-State trikes will be there, I called him today and he said the trike is about 1/2 together and should be done next weekend.

I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment