Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Chopping a Honda GL1000 Goldwing #46

I am a little late with this owing to being sick with a stomach bug.

I finished the right panel for the bike Saturday, and Sunday drilled and tapped the holes for mounting it.
This panel required a little bending to get it to fit because the frame on the right is angled.

After clamping the panel I used a dead blow hammer and more clamps to get it to match the frame.

I then eyed the saddlebags sitting in the garage and decided to give them a preliminary fitting to see what they would look like.

Now I know the top is not straight on the bag and the bag is sitting about an inch lower in the frame unit, this is just for the idea of using the bags.


There is only one bolt holding them in place and I am going to weld new flat stock to the bag frames for mounting so I think they will be slightly lower and more to the rear.


What do you think, should I keep going with the bags or leave them off?

I kind of like them because I need someplace to carry my jacket and small stuff.

I think I am going to paint the panels satin black the same as the frame.
If I use the bags should I continue the satin black for everything, or paint the bags,rear fender, gas tank something else like an old school dark green.

I was for a while thinking of painting the whole bike, frame and all the blackest green I could find, how about that?

OR - - the frame black/green and the tank, fenders, and bags greenish Yellow.

I am open to all suggestions, what have you got?

No comments:

Post a Comment