Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Hard tail Honda GL1000 Goldwing Bobber #47

Being as I am stuck in the house again today ( a sunny 65 degrees in NY) I am going to give you a little insight into the rule, "measure twice cut once".

It seems that there was some time between making and mounting the left and right panels.
In that space of time I built the bottle cutter for my sister.
When I went to drill the holes for tapping, to mount the right side panel, I thought (or didn't think) that I still had the correct drill bits still on my welding table all set up.

Wrong - - after drilling the mounting holes I went to tap them and the tap went right through the holes.
I had changed the bit to a larger one for some other project.

So I had to drill them out for a 8mm tap and use 8mm bolts to hold the panel on.
The left side had 6mm bolts holding it on.

I then drilled the left side out for the 8mm tap and re-tapped the them, so both sides would be the same.

A lot of extra work.

To add a bit of experience to the rule I now say it as " measure twice cut & drill once".

Oh well another live and learn lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment