Thursday, February 2, 2012

Chopping a Honda GL1000 Goldwing #41

I went shopping for a couple of gaskets and the piston seal ring on the front forks of a GL1000.
Honda does not sell the plastic ring that goes inside the front forks on a GL1000.
My local dealer did a search and found that Geoff Bodine Honda in Florida had one in their stock.

I called them to order it (one is better than none) and they found another also, so I have the two I need to rebuild the front forks.
$13.18 in parts and $8.00 shipping, for two plastic washers that would fit in an envelope, but I am just thankful someone actually had them.

I am still looking for more, for the bike that will be stock with the side car.

Back to the garage yesterday, I started by rounding the corners of the rear seat mount.


I cleaned the grime from one of the front fork legs just to see what it might look like.
This is one of the newer front forks (1977 - 1979) I plan on painting the lower leg Black I think.


Next I decided to cut some filler plates to go on the frame below the rear of the gas tank.
After fitting them I thought they looked OK, and when everything is together they will dress up the rear tank area a little.


I welded them in and filled the front of them, more grinding to do here too.


I plan on getting into my space suit and doing all the grinding at one time.

I also made a lower rear fender mount and welded it to the frame crossbar.


I like this set-up better.



I plan on cutting off the one I put on before at the very bottom of the fender, because it would have been too hard to install the bolts later when I finish the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment