Sunday, February 5, 2012

Honda GL1000 Goldwing Chopper #42

Saturday, I Thought I would take a different route and check out one of the other GL1000's that I had bought over the past summer.

You may recall that I had removed all the farings and bags from the 6 bikes when I purchased them just so they would fit into the garage and sheds.

One of the bikes looked to be mostly all there so I played with it and got it running.
It ran great, idled fine so it was put in the garage for storage until needed.

I decided to check out another of the bikes, a 1975 GL1000 frame number GL11013158, engine number GL1E-1013380.


When I started really looking at the bike, I noticed that it didn't have wire spooked wheels.
Then I saw that it didn't have a kick start either although it came with a kick start handle.


I rechecked all the numbers and they do go with a 1975 GL1000 motorcycle, so I am asking the question - - - did some of the 1975's come without the spoke wheels and kick start?

Both items could have been changed by a previous owner, so I am just curious.

Well after checking out the bike I found that someone had reversed the #2 and #4 plug wires and all the spark plugs were loose. The start button was not working, and #1 plug wire was not even connected (screwed into the adapter at the end).

I hooked up an auxiliary gas tank, although at first I always try to start it with a little ether only just to see if it will fire.


I checked spark to the plugs, the plugs looked new, but had carbon on them like they were run rich for a few seconds. I cleaned the plugs with a rag, and the black wiped right off.

That's when I found that the #2 and #4 were reversed, I traced the wires to the coil and they were wired #1 and #4 to the right coil #2 and #3 to the left coil. someone had reversed the wires in the rubber holder and then had the #4 wire going to the #2 cylinder.

After bolting everything that needed to be grounded to the frame in various spots, I gave it a shot of ether and it fired right off running for a few seconds with no knocks or back fires.



I put a little gas in the tank and it fired and ran about 30 seconds but then the center manifold started to fill with a little gas and the engine flooded out.

I think that possibly one of the carburetors may have a sticking needle and seat and the pump is overfilling the carburetor and the valve isn't shutting the gas off.

Any way the engine sounds fine, so I am 2 for 2 in getting engines that are OK from the parts bikes I purchased over the summer.

I am now trying to figure out what I would need to put together a starter board to hook up engines to so that they wouldn't need the wiring harness or extra stuff just to get them running.

Below is a photo of the bike with the wheels in question for a 1975 GL1000.


Did these come on a 75 or were they changed?
What about the lack of a kick start, the numbers match those of a 1975 on the engine?

1 comment:

  1. Stumbled on your blog while I was researching parts for my '75 Wing. The wheels on the Wing you have pics of are not original - '75's came with wire spoke wheels only. These bike's do have a kick start but the lever is stowed under the right side shelter cover. You would take the lever out and insert it into the female end of the kick start shaft. I can't remember if it's on the right or left. My bike didn't come with the lever so I depend on a good battery. I also have the "upgrade" Comstar wheels which look similar to yours but mine are black. Good luck on your restoration projects!

    Joel

    ReplyDelete