Friday, January 13, 2012

Chopping a Honda GL1000 Goldwing #38

Visually there won't be much to see today.

Most of today was taken up by re-welding areas of the frame as I saw them when I turned the frame on different angles.

Then I ran out of welding wire and had to change the spool.
When I started to weld again I had problems with the wire bird nesting inside the machine.
I pulled it apart and then cut the wire and tried again only to have the same problem after welding a short time.

This went on for an hour or so with me cleaning and changing the tension, tip, and resetting everything I could think of.
I finally think that the beginning of the wire on the spool was not wound right, because it only started with the new spool of wire and it stopped after running some of the wire off the spool.

All is well now, and the welder is working fine now.

I did cut a piece of tubing to fit the lower bottom joint of the right side of the frame.
This is similar to the piece I cut for the left side except I had to make two pieces to cover the bends in the frame. I also had to notch out for the foot peg and a cross piece in the original frame.


This is the bottom section with the piece partially welded in.

I did finish welding that piece in and went on to weld some of the gussets on inside on the left side.

For the next few days I will be going over the joints on the tail section so it may seem to be moving slower that in the past, but progress is being made.

In the future.

I want to shoot the back section with primer as soon as I can, hopefully in the next few days.

I also have to mount the battery box and remount the rear fender near the battery box.

I have to figure out where all the electrics will go now that I don't have the false tank, and change the wiring to go to them.

I want to build covers for the sides in the rear, and I think also for between the tank and the frame.

I have to get an engine in it again to check on clearance for the air filter, and assist in placing the electrics, and wiring.

I then have to decide which engine is best, and get it cleaned up and painted, and get the wheels I want to use cleaned and maybe new spokes.

Rebuild the brake masters and calipers and put new pads on, also new seals for the fork tubes.

Lots of work still to go, I hope I make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment