Friday, January 6, 2012

Chopping a Honda GL1000 Goldwing #35

First I have to tell you about the weather here in NY.
what normally is deep snow and cold here this year is
an occasional good day with the sun out.

The sunset through the garage window was bright red
so I had to go out and get a picture of it.


After going to Herb's and getting my washers I ground
down the rear fender bracket on top, and I think it looks
a lot better this way.


I next ground the old bracket for the back stand and
clamped a washer to it then welded it.


I did both sides of the bracket because I didn't like Honda's
design any way.


I have no idea why they thought they needed to put clamps
on the ends of the bracket instead of just having holes.

I did have to make a longer shaft and drill it for the pin.
I welded a washer to the left side of the shaft where the spring is
I had to grind a small groove on the washer to fit around the spring pin.
I also had to grind off the left end of the stand to make clearance for
the extra washer.

The cotter pin on the end of the shaft will keep it from coming
apart so I think the clamps are over kill.


My bike will have the cotter key only.

Speaking of cotter keys, I see so many things with the cotter
pins bent wrong.
My high school shop teacher taught me to bend only the longer
end of the pin, and leave the other end straight.
You may cut the other end off a little if it hits anything if you want.

In a pinch this makes the pin useable again if you have to.
Also the pin comes out so much easier.

While I was working on the bottom end of the bike I decided to
change another item that I think Honda got wrong.

In order to lube the brake pedal you must remove it.
Why not put a grease fitting on it and lube it when ever you want.


I drilled the bottom of the pedal and tapped it to 1/4 X 28 threads.
When you do this the fitting will be slightly too long, so you will have
to grind the nipple off the threaded end.


Wire brush the end after you grind it and be careful when you first
thread it in to make sure you don't cross thread it.




Also look in the shaft hole to make sure it is clear and that you have
taken enough off of it.

It is a fairly simple job that will save you tons in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment